[arch-dev-public] Test Isos with core repository

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:05:40 EDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 24. September 2007 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> > On 9/24/07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > - Ram usage increased to 160MB
> >
> > Wow, for an installer? This is getting a little hefty here,
> > considering X isn't even loaded.
> >
> > Perhaps we should look into this before it becomes a problem.
> >
> > Tobias, I'm not sure where you keep archboot (it was on a different
> > server), but could we move it to gerolde in /srv/projects?
> >
> > If you don't have access, you could move the repo to your home dir and
> > let me know, I will move it to /srv
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Aaron

> Hi
> Aaron the problem is that the initrd size increased due to the wlan drivers.
> the size will not increase dramatically, only new drivers will be added in
> next isos.
> Ram usage is calculated like this:
> kernelsize+initrdsize+decompressed initrdsize
> it can be tested with the mem= boot parameter.

I understand all this, but I think there are better ways to do this.
All modules do not need to be loaded directly into ram or be in the
initrd.
I actually have a proof-of-concept on phraktured.net of this.

This is why I'd like to get the archboot repo on gerolde, because I'm
sure I could throw some tricks at it and make it use less RAM.

> In my opinion a system with less than 256mb ram is not really recommended and
> usable in 2007.

That's true, but you're also thinking of a desktop/server machine.
What if I wanted to install arch on my router?
Even though it's probably a good guess that people have more than
160MB of RAM, that doesn't technically give us cause to be flippant
about it - less RAM used means, most likely, faster too.

Let me know when you get archboot up on gerolde 8)