[arch-dev-public] Test Isos with core repository

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:45:58 EDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 24. September 2007 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> > On 9/24/07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > - Ram usage increased to 160MB
> >
> > Wow, for an installer? This is getting a little hefty here,
> > considering X isn't even loaded.
> >
> > Perhaps we should look into this before it becomes a problem.
> >
> > Tobias, I'm not sure where you keep archboot (it was on a different
> > server), but could we move it to gerolde in /srv/projects?
> >
> > If you don't have access, you could move the repo to your home dir and
> > let me know, I will move it to /srv
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Aaron

> Hi
> Aaron the problem is that the initrd size increased due to the wlan drivers.
> the size will not increase dramatically, only new drivers will be added in
> next isos.
> Ram usage is calculated like this:
> kernelsize+initrdsize+decompressed initrdsize
> it can be tested with the mem= boot parameter.
>
> The binary part should be complete now.
> The initrd is not only a installer it's also a complete rescue system.
> Everything has up and downsides.
> In my opinion a system with less than 256mb ram is not really recommended and
> usable in 2007.
> greetings
> tpowa
> --
> Tobias Powalowski
> Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
> http://www.archlinux.org
> tpowa at archlinux.org

I personally have a server running with 312 MB of RAM, and obviously
the 160 MB is not over this limit. However, I know that after boot and
running all important server services, only 23 MB of ram is in use. It
seems extreme to need 160 MB of RAM to boot, not to mention how long
it takes.

A bigger concern is those who may want to run these ISOs in VMs.
Needing this much RAM is going to really slow down the rest of my
machine that is outside the VM, especially if it needs to start
swapping.

-Dan