[arch-dev-public] Architecture Independent Packages

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 15:16:23 EDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Jürgen Hötzel <juergen at hoetzel.info> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 01:14:11PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > This was brought up in a previous thread started by Damir, regarding
> > committing a package to more than one repo at a time.
> >
> > I think it'd be more beneficial for us to split of architecture
> > independent packages, just to eliminate redundancy. Python modules,
> > scripts, etc they'd all fit here.
> >
> > Does anyone have an opinion on the matter? I think adding a
> > arch=(none) or arch=(all) setup would be a good idea, BUT there might
> > be a lot of other things that need to be changed.
> >

> What about arch-dependent repositories:
>
> core-noarch
> core-i686
> core-x86_64
>
> extra-noarch
> extra-i686
> extra-x86_64
>
> This doesn't require architecture handling code in pacman. Just another
> package repository move ;-))

That's what I was thinking too, though I don't think we have anything
that'd fit in core....

BUT extra has a lot. The only "problem" is that we have this unwritten
rule that dependencies don't cross repos - we'd be breaking this rule
there.

Now this is fine with me, but I know others like that rule.