[arch-dev-public] Architecture Independent Packages

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 03:59:21 EDT 2007

2007/9/26, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org>:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:49:13 -0500
> "Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Worth reviving? It was on the back-burner but it is something that
> > > has bugged me. If we do this, we could easily do some stuff for
> > > arch-generic packages around the same time.
> > >
> > > http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi?p=pacman.git;a=commitdiff;h=a384a2feb2e55e97e979ef30cff6905561905739
> >
> > Ok, yeah let's revive this, BUT, lets get at least a majority opinion
> > on arch independent repos, before we attack this.
> >
> > Can I get a simple +1/-1 for this, before Dan and I take it too far?
> >

> +1 for architecture independence

+1.

Note that we don't need any noarch repo or something like this!
We should just do this:
1) modify {core,extra,community}pkg to tag CVS files for noarch
packages as CURRENT and CURRENT64 at the same time
2) add noarch packages to i686 and x86_64 .db.tar.gz files at the same time
(modify all needed scripts)
3) modify makepkg to understand arch=('any') (or 'all', feel free to
name it) and make -any.pkg.tar.gz files
4) modify our web backend (we need to do this anyway because of x86_64 support)
No changes to pacman needed.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)