[arch-dev-public] Architecture Independent Packages

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Wed Sep 26 08:34:24 EDT 2007

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yeah, I don't know if we ever do a "pkg arch == running arch" check.
>>> The only time it'd matter is with the filename.
>> Worth reviving? It was on the back-burner but it is something that has
>> bugged me. If we do this, we could easily do some stuff for
>> arch-generic packages around the same time.
>>
>> http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi?p=pacman.git;a=commitdiff;h=a384a2feb2e55e97e979ef30cff6905561905739
>
> Ok, yeah let's revive this, BUT, lets get at least a majority opinion
> on arch independent repos, before we attack this.
>
> Can I get a simple +1/-1 for this, before Dan and I take it too far?

+1, but we must make sure we don't end up with separate *source*
repos at any implementation level. e.g. [extra] should be said to
contain a set of packages, and each package may be built for i686,
x86_64, and/or our new "noarch" architecture and put in *binary*
repos sorted by architecture.

Otherwise we won't be able to maintain any coherence of the
distribution across architectures, and they will grow into entirely
separate beasts.

- P

"The world is a jungle in general, and the architecture game
contributes many animals."
    -- paraphrased from RFC 826, the ARP specification