[arch-dev-public] Arch mirrors

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:19:51 EDT 2007

2007/9/18, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com>:
> 2007/9/18, eliott <eliott at cactuswax.net>:

> > > Well, this info is already provided on our wiki, so if someone will
> > > modify /download/ page manually then this can be entered as well.
> > > We cannot use pacman mirrorlist directly, because not all mirrors have
> > > isos on them (or if there will be a script for checking ftp/http/rsync
> > > - it should check for latest isos too).
> >
> > I will certainly update the /download/ page, but we first need to
> > decide which mirrors to include on the download page (are they all
> > valid and dev authorized?).
>
> They are 99% the same as in pacman.d/* (just a little more up-to-date).
> But not all of them have iso/ directory (or some have very outdated
> isos) - this is noted on wiki page right after mirror's URL.
>

> > Then I need somebody to put the mirrors into a reasonable format for
> > me. I don't have the time to get all the data in a usable format AND
> > update the page. If somebody can do the legwork for me, I will
> > certainly do the backend change.
> >
> > A nice format would be..
> >
> > ftp_url  |  http_url  |  Country
> >

> I'll try to find time for this. Probably even tomorrow.

OK, done now. That was not easy task for such lazy guy as me. :-P
I'm attaching mirrors.txt file for you, Eliott.
The format is: FtpUrl | HttpUrl | RsyncUrl | Country
Note that FTP and HTTP URLs are not same in all cases (Brazillian mirror).

I also checked the entire pacman's mirrorlist and here's what I've found:

1) http://archlinux.c3sl.ufpr.br/ is also available via FTP as
ftp://archlinux.c3sl.ufpr.br/archlinux/ (note the archlinux
subdirectory)

http://mirrors.easynews.com/linux/archlinux/ is also available via FTP.

ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/ is
not available but
http://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/
works.

2) some mirrors don't work:
  ftp://ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr/pub/Linux/distrib/archlinux/ - cannot connect
  ftp://saule.mintis.lt/pub/linux/ - pub/ is empty
  ftp://mirror.djzradio.net/archlinux/ - domain does not exist anymore
  ftp://gul.est.ips.pt/repos/archlinux/ - cannot connect
  ftp://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/pub/archlinux/ - cannot connect

I think we should also forbid rsyncing from their (ex-)IPs.

3) there are some mirrors of ibiblio.org - I think we could get all
those that have distributions/archlinux directory to the pacman's
mirrorlist but place a notice that they are syncing from ibiblio.org,
not from archlinux.org (so there may be longer sync intervals than
from other mirrors).

4) questionable mirrors:
  http://archlinux.freeside.ru/ - has current (sic), extra and
community only, outdated
  ftp://ftp.linux.kiev.ua/pub/Linux/ArchLinux/ - up to date but i686
only, no new isos.

5) There are 2 new good mirrors:
  ftp://archlinux.org.ru/pub/archlinux/ (Russia)
  http://server.elsistech.com/archlinux/ (Turkey)
I've added them to mirrors.txt but not to mirrorlist.in yet.
I've talked with Russian admin and he will contact you after testing
period ends, Eliott.
The Turkish mirror was added to the wiki just yesterday.

It seems that http://mir.archlinux.fr/ is a round-robin HTTP-only
redirect to other two French mirrors, so I didn't add it to any list.

I've attached a modified mirrorlist.in file with all fixes mentioned
above for you, Dan (sorry, I cannot provide patch now).
Be sure to check those "cannot connect" mirrors and add them back if they work.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)