[arch-dev-public] Additional Package ISOs

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:33:09 EDT 2007

Continuing a discussion from earlier, on into a fresh thread.

We need a plan for the additional ISOs.

To reiterate what's going on here:

There are a handful of users who would like to have a giant iso of
packages to aid in installing on boxes with slower networks (for
instance, they could download and burn the ISOs from school).

So, I've seen a few ideas, and Thomas seems to have the best grasp on
what is slated.

Here's what I'd like to see:

* A small script which constructs a repo from a list of packages, then
runs mkisofs on it. This would allow users to very easily create a CD
or DVD full of packages THEY want.

* One or two officially built ISOs (CD? DVD?) using the above tool,
with some nice utilities and tools, etc.

* Perhaps a combination of the two, and a bootable "OMGHUGE" DVD.

Opinions, what do you guys think? I haven't really heard much comment
on this topic so far.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron