[arch-dev-public] Additional Package ISOs

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 07:04:48 EDT 2007

2007/9/28, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de>:
> Am Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:33:09 -0500
> schrieb "Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
>
> > There are a handful of users who would like to have a giant iso of
> > packages to aid in installing on boxes with slower networks (for
> > instance, they could download and burn the ISOs from school).
>
> I think _now_ a huge iso doesn't make much sense. Remember we are
> running a rolling release distribution. We often have .so bumps and
> packages move from and out of core repo. Packages come and go. It would
> force us to almost daily create such a huge_iso. Our rolling release
> distribution forces most users to have a good internet connection. A
> very quick outdated huge_iso is not very helpful in this case though
> some might find it helpful.
>
> But this all would change when we offer a _NON_rolling release
> distribution. Then a fixed and free of license issues ISO-set is a
> must.

Why should we have to release such ISO daily?
We will release it at the same time as Core & FTP ISOs.
If some package(s) will have some bugs or even would be broken - no big deal.
The mission of huge ISO is to give people a quick start, especially
those with slow Internet, not to be a rock-stable working release.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)