[arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Round 2

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Apr 5 03:31:05 EDT 2008

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>> pointed out.. system would not boot, I needed to change my /dev/hda2
>> references to /dev/sda2 references in fstab and grub menu.lst. Installation
>> used legacy IDE drivers, boot used PATA drivers.
>>  PATA should be the default now! Almost nobody will need IDE (except maybe
>> for sis controllers).
>
> So it should be a simple matter of modifying the mkinitcpio config to
> match the stock kernel's - except, of course, for the typical archiso
> stuff.

Actually, I think there should be two configurations: One with PATA and
one with IDE (as long as we use grub, it's easy to have several). The
installer should somehow remember what choice we made at boot time and
modify the system's mkinitcpio.conf.

For now, it could be enough to just match archiso to the mkinitcpio
default configuration, which uses pata.