[arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Round 2

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 14:12:47 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>

> > > pointed out.. system would not boot, I needed to change my /dev/hda2
> > > references to /dev/sda2 references in fstab and grub menu.lst.
> Installation
> > > used legacy IDE drivers, boot used PATA drivers.
> > >  PATA should be the default now! Almost nobody will need IDE (except
> maybe
> > > for sis controllers).
> > >

> > So it should be a simple matter of modifying the mkinitcpio config to
> > match the stock kernel's - except, of course, for the typical archiso
> > stuff.
> >

>  Actually, I think there should be two configurations: One with PATA and one
> with IDE (as long as we use grub, it's easy to have several). The installer
> should somehow remember what choice we made at boot time and modify the
> system's mkinitcpio.conf.
>
>  For now, it could be enough to just match archiso to the mkinitcpio default
> configuration, which uses pata.

It sounds like we have a few issues here.

One is IDE drivers vs. PATA drivers. I can verify that my SiS board
does not boot so hot with the current PATA drivers, so I am still
using IDE. I think two initrds might be a great idea here.

The next issue is the "remember what you chose and put it in the
system's mkinitcpio.conf". How about "No"? Why on earth do we need to
automate things for the users as long as we document it in the install
guide? It isn't that hard to have a one-liner saying "if you booted
with IDE drivers, you will want to modify your mkinitcpio hooks
accordingly. This would save us a lot of hassle from stupid automation
tricks that I really feel we don't need to do.

The final issue was references to /dev/hda and such in fstab, which
won't work for PATA drivers. Where are these even coming from? Are we
autopopulating these, and doing it horribly wrong?

-Dan