[arch-dev-public] ArchISO FTP Installer - Round 2

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 20:56:27 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>  Which was one of my suggestions, only I wouldn't use labels, but uuids (not
> every partition has a label, all have uuids).
>
>  However, every other udev update breaks labels and uuids for device-mapper
> devices (like lvm), so we'd need exceptions for those (they have persistant
> names anyway) ... all not that pretty.

I like the idea of using uuid's too.. it won't be too pretty, but it
will give us a default that works. People can always change it to
/dev/sda3 if they want

I would say: use UUIDs and document where and when breakage occurs
(device-mapper). Let's face it, a vast majority of people probably
don't use lvm or crypto devices... and those that do are knowledgeable
enough to know they may need special configuration dances