[arch-dev-public] The move to SVN

Wed Apr 9 14:09:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Eric Belanger
> <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>  Things I would like to know how to do with the new SVN repo:
>>  - how to checkout the whole repo and how to update it afterwards
>
> I just want to say that this is not really recommended. The size on
> disk is huge (SVN keeps a copy of the HEAD revision in the .svn/
> directory, so the overall size of the checkout is double that of the
> actual files). Feel free to do it, but I know I won't be doing it.
>
> Not to mention that fact that one individual package has copies in the
> repos/ dir too. A package in extra and testing for both architectures
> has 5 copies of the tracked files (and 5 more for the svn HEAD
> revisions). So that's a totaly of 10 PKGBUILDs and other files for one
> package. We have 2500ish last I checked.

Thanks for the explanation.  I wasn't aware that it had that much
overhead. I'll probably just checkout what I need with archco.

One more thing: with cvs we had to export the CVSROOT variable on our
local machine. Is a similar step required with the new svn setup or is
everything taken care in archco? I'm not at my Arch machine right now so I
can't check it.

believed to be clean.