[arch-dev-public] Drop the unstable repository

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Sun Apr 20 17:44:02 EDT 2008

Am Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:14:23 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> I had this thought during the above discussion about compat-wireless:
> Do we really need unstable? Almost nobody uses it and let's see which
> packages are in there:
>
> opera-devel
> firefox3
> kernel26mm
> fvwm-devel
> gimp-devel
> reiser4progs + dependencies.
> openoffice-devel
> mplayer-svn
>
> Most of the rest is so out of date and old that it should be dropped
> anyway (including the external modules for kernel26mm). The packages
> that are actually being maintained can IMO be moved to extra.
> Everybody who installs a -svn or -devel package probably knows it is
> unstable (firefox3 should be renamed to firefox-devel then).
>
> So I'm asking you: What is the point of having a repository with <30
> packages, half of which are neither used nor maintained? Except maybe
> confusion among users (wait? enable unstable? isn't that dangerous?).

opera-devel
 - this is an exception only until there will be the first 64bit
   release. later devel releases could be maintained in AUR

openoffice-base-devel
 - i really doubt it would be a good idea to maintain it in AUR -
   compile time matters here
 - it should stay somewhere binary (maybe even in extra or
   permanently in testing) !

-Andy