[arch-dev-public] The /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates directory - and how great it is

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 21 15:11:55 EDT 2008

The module-init-tools have had this feature for a while and I just
wanted to tell you about how we can use it:

The modules contained in the updates/ subdirectory in your module
directory are always preferred over any other modules. Thus, you can put
updated modules into it which supercede the ones installed by our
kernel. This is great, I'll just give some examples:

- The compat-wireless package uses it
That's how I know about it. compat-wireless puts a complete new mac80211
tree with drivers into updates/. This means it is easy to get updated
wireless drivers without conflicting with the stock kernel and without
having to rebuild the whole kernel.

- ALSA updates
ALSA has been known to be a bitch. Sometimes the drivers in the stock
Linux kernel are out of date and an updated driver will help. Now, we
could provide a PKGBUILD via AUR which installs the latest ALSA drivers
to updates/ - this would give a user the possibility to use an updated
alsa without having to rebuild the kernel, conflict with the kernel or
having to delete files and confuse pacman.

- Random patches to drivers
It has happened that users wanted a particular feature enabled or
changed in a particular driver. There is the phc undervolt patch and
there is some toshiba-bluetooth patch still in our kernel. Now I don't
like forcing patched drivers on people who don't need it, and generally,
our community likes vanilla kernels more. With the updates/ directory it
is possible to provide these special cases via PKGBUILDs/AUR - provided
the change is only in the module(s) in question, one could patch it,
build it and put it into the updates/ directory. Without having a
patched kernel, the users could be happy - again, no kernel rebuilding
or hacky conflicting. (In the above cases, only the acpi-cpufreq resp.
the toshiba-acpi modules are modified ... nothing is modified in the
kernel itself).

I already plan to maintain compat-wireless as a binary package. I will
also put an alsa-driver-updates package into the AUR. And I will try to
package the modified toshiba-acpi module so I can drop the patch from
the kernel (I will also put this in AUR then).

I hope this will make life easier for us and for many users in our
community - it is a much cleaner thing than patching the kernel all the
time.