[arch-dev-public] OMG info pages

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Apr 22 17:52:32 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 12:05 -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> I'm really really sick of people making mountains out of the docs
> molehill... it's such a petty issue...
>
> Would anyone honestly care if we removed the !docs option from
> makepkg.conf by default, and let each maintainer add options=(!docs)
> if the docs are too big for a given package?
>
> No need to do the rebuilds all in one go, just let the docs trickle in...
>
> Opinions anyone?

What do we do with gtk-doc documentation? They're very useful when
developing software, but they take a shitload of space compared to the
libraries and include files shipped with a library like glib2. Before we
stripped these docs, glib2 would take >50MB, now with stripped docs,
it's 8-9MB in size.
I always defended the removal of gtk-doc API documentation as "we don't
ship docs by policy". If we change this policy, I have no serious
defense against keeping these docs any longer, which means gtk-doc API
documentation will get included, meaning a base package like glib2 will
grow to 50MB again.
Another option is to build them in standalone packages like we have with
qt3-doc for example. AFAIK the latest versions of gtk-doc have makefile
targets to build standalone documentation, but this means increase in
workload and loss of KISS as we're splitting packages again.