[arch-dev-public] proftpd status

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 23:57:01 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Eric Belanger
<belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, eliott wrote:
> > >  Because of this and because I don't use the package anymore, it would
> be
> > > better if someone else maintains it. Anyone interested? I have the
> updated
> > > PKGBUILD and script.
> > >  If not we could:
> > >  a) move it to unsupported as we already have several ftp servers in
> extra
> > >  b) I would be willing to continue to maintain it but I'll need someone
> > >   else to build/test/upload the x86_64 package as I can't test it.
> > >  c) this is the more cumbersome. I could continue to maintain and build
> for
> > >   both arches but every update will go to testing first for signoffs.
> > >

> > Another option might be to release it to community (or maybe that is
> > what you meant by unsupported). Maybe one of the TUs would want to
> > take it over.
> >

>  Yes, I meant removing it from extra so it'll go to eitherunsupported or
> community if a TU is interested.

Speaking on behalf of myself, I think it would be smart if we started
shedding some packages from extra that we don't really use- we
shouldn't feel obliged to maintain them just because someone else put
them there and stuck us with them. Package maintenance can be a real
bore if you aren't even interested in the package you are working on.

So phrased shortly- if you don't use it and other devs don't have
interest, throw it to unsupported where it may or may not get picked
up by a TU.

-Dan