[arch-dev-public] OpenJDK available in testing

Eduardo Romero k3nsai at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 17:00:28 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 18:16 +0200, Jan de Groot wrote:
> Finally we have an opensource, free, alternative java platform available
> that's compatible to the official Sun JDK. Our OpenJDK6 package is based
> on a mercurial checkout of icedtea6 and is built with the latest Sun
> OpenJDK GPL'ed sources.
> OpenJDK comes with Java Web Start and a native browser plugin for both
> i686 and x86_64.
> We would like to make openjdk6 our default java enviornment and
> deprecate any use of gcc-gcj/java-gcj-compat, except for the packages
> required to build openjdk6.
> Please give openjdk6 some testing and report bugs when you find them.

Hi,

Wanted to comment, that I just recently started classes at the
University and some of my classes are online. The online site the univ
relies on is heavily dependant on java. I logged in today and it worked
but most of the site was useless, until I changed back to jre from repo.
So i guess this openjdk6 package should not move to extra anytime soon
until it is mature enough. Or maybe we can have both jre/jdk and
oepnjdk6 in repo. I'm not sure if you guys already decided anything on
it, but just writting to inform you of my experiences.

Thanks

Eduardo "kensai" Romero