[arch-dev-public] Wine association, waht should we do?

Eduardo Romero k3nsai at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:05:58 EDT 2008

Some users expressed concern in the capabilities of the Wine package to
run .exe or autorun files by default, and sometimes this without asking
permission from the user. This can be stopped, the solution can be
taking this line:
MimeType=application/x-ms-dos-executable;application/x-msdos-program;application/x-msdownload;
out of the wine.desktop file.

And adding a message telling the user that in order to enable file
association with wine the have to issue the following command as root:
echo
"MimeType=application/x-ms-dos-executable;application/x-msdos-program;application/x-msdownload;" >> /usr/share/applications/wine.desktop

Thanks goes to trivialstuff for looking into this, I didn't had the time
to.

The discussion has been going on here:

I will appreciate your suggestions guys.

Thanks

Eduardo "kensai" Romero