[arch-dev-public] Wine association, waht should we do?

James Rayner iphitus at iphitus.org
Thu Aug 28 19:06:00 EDT 2008

On 8/29/08, Jeff Mickey <jeff at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Whoa.
>
> I just want to make my opinion known that in NO WAY should we be
> modifying packages so that if users turn on an AutoRun the package
> doesn't run.  You turn on some kind of AutoRun feature, you deal with
> the consequences.  Not to mention the OP in the bbs thread linked has
> a use case that isn't normal for wine.  Not normal in the "I don't
> want wine to run .exe' even though I just clicked on them" kinda way.

And just to clarify something...
1) KDE (not wine), just _alerted_ that there was an autorun available.
So it's a KDE feature, not wine.
2) It only alerted that there's an autorun available (presumably
checking for autorun.inf) but did not run it. You had to click OK to
execute the autorun
3) It makes sense for wine to be bound to exe's. Exe's should be
treated no different to any file type, as any file could possibly
contain a danger. Don't click an exe you dont trust, like you wouldnt
click a shell script or binary or any other file you don't trust the
source.

So just to get things straight, no executable/autoruns are run without
asking the user first. There's no real "consequences" to speak of,
unless you're silly enough to click OK for a disc you don't trust.

And hey, it was kinda convenient.