[arch-dev-public] Risky business: udev upgrade

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 12:53:53 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 1:03 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I am not even sure this is a problem with udev or if I did
> something wrong, but the "auto-mount feature" of gnome apparently
> stopped working after this upgrade.
> But the system boot fines, the external usb disk is still properly
> detected is dmesg, the correct devices are created and with the proper
> permissions :
> brw-rw---- 1 root storage 8, 16 août 30 00:32 /dev/sdb
> brw-rw---- 1 root storage 8, 17 août 30 00:32 /dev/sdb1
>
> And I can still mount it manually just fine. Just the automatic mount
> stopped working.
> So I have no idea what the problem is.

As I saw there :
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-August/005777.html
The event chain goes like this :
  kernel -> udev -> hal -> dbus -> g-v-m -> dbus -> hal -> kernel
Since we are only changing udev, I thought the problem should be in
udev->hal communication, and that hal needs to be updated somehow.
But I have not found how to debug hal, to be sure hal is indeed the
problem and that it does not see the udev event.

I also checked if there were any hal git commits related to udev, and
found a recent one :
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=commit;h=f6af40c1e7ea54e69eb2d259d91dd212065d5f6e
But I re-introduced the udevinfo symlink (ln -s /sbin/udevadm
/usr/bin/udevinfo) and it did not help.

I can reproduce this with the 126 version made by Aaron, the 127
version made by Tobias, and my own nearly vanilla 127 version
(on this note, I don't know why Arch has to change so many things from vanilla).