[arch-dev-public] Grub2

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Dec 3 12:12:29 EST 2008

Am Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:31:40 +0100
schrieb "Ronald van Haren" <pressh at gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> Grub2 is now in my staging dir for both architectures. I'll move it
> into extra shortly.
>
> Things to know:
> - config file changed to /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> - config syntax changed a bit
> - most information can be found on the grub2 archwiki page [1]
>
> If you have any experience with grub2 and know your way around, the
> wiki page still needs some attention for some more special options.
> The basic stuff should be covered.
>
> If you have a more exotic configuration than I have, give it a try. I
> can't test a lot of use cases myself.
>
> Ronald
>
> [1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2

Have you tried to compile it on x86_64? I highly doubt it can't be
done.

I'm subscribed to the grub development list for a long time and so far
I would not expect any usable release before 2010 - so why do we put
this into extra? Only because 2 devs find it cool to have it? Why not
maintain it in AUR until it becomes late beta state and watch the
usual voting procedure?

Look what grub devs posted on 20080907:

Hi All,

As our release plan is rotting a bit, I zapped current plan on Wiki and
here is my proposal for plan targetting 2.0 gold release.

== 1.97 ==

  Estimate Date:: 2008-??-?? (ASAP)

  Release Focus:: General release. Improving usability and stability.

== 1.98 ==

  Estimate Date:: 2009-??-?? (2009 new years release :) ?)

  Release Focus:: Integrating USB and Graphical Menu to baseline.
Improving usability and stability.

== 1.99 ==

  Estimate Date:: 2009-??-?? (mid 2009?)

  Release Focus:: Feature catchup from GRUB Legacy. Serious
stabilization and documentation.

  Note:: We would like to claim that GRUB 2 is ''beta'' at this stage.
''beta'' means that GRUB 2 has the same usability as GRUB Legacy.

== 2.00 ==

  Estimate Date:: 2009-??-?? (2010 new years release :) ?)

  Release Focus:: Serious stabilization and finalize documentation.

  Note:: GRUB 2 is now ''gold''. Official major release intended to
replace GRUB Legacy in mainstream use.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen

To me it's not ready and worth sitting in extra. One exception I could
imagine: call it grub-devel. That's what it is. calling it grub2 in
extra implies to me it to be the stable successor of grub(-legacy). and
that's not true.

I hope it's not to late for serious concerns.

-Andy