[arch-dev-public] Replacing common network programs (netkit-*, etc} with GNU inetutils

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 11 02:50:29 EST 2008

Eric Bélanger schrieb:
> --enable-ftpd
> N/A

Wouldn't hurt to have a simple ftpd there, but we don't really need it,
we have bftpd, proftpd, vsftpd, ...

> --enable-inetd
> Could replace xinetd

Is it compatible with xinetd's configuration? If not, I would be careful!

> --enable-rexecd
> Could replace netkit-rsh
>
> --enable-rlogind
> Could replace netkit-rsh
>
> --enable-rshd
> Could replace netkit-rsh

I'm fine with all of those (actually, I don't use them).

> --enable-syslogd
> Could replace sysklogd partially : syslogd

We need neither sysklogd nor syslogd, syslog-ng is superior.

> --enable-talkd
> N/A
> --enable-telnetd
> Could replace netkit-telnet
>
> --enable-tftpd
> Could replace netkit-tftp (a xinet daemon)
> Could replace tftp-hpa (a rc.d daemon)
>
> --enable-uucpd
> N/A
>
> --enable-ftp
> Could replace netkit-ftp

All of the above are fine with me.

> --enable-ping
> Could replace iputils partially : ping
>
> --enable-ping6
> Could replace iputils partially : ping6

iputils is still maintained, right? In that case, we keep iputils.

> --enable-rcp
> Could replace netkit-rsh
>
> --enable-rlogin
> Could replace netkit-rsh
>
> --enable-rsh
> Could replace netkit-rsh

Fine with me!

> --enable-logger
> Could replace util-linux-ng partially : logger

No, util-linux-ng is still maintained. Unless this logger has more
capabilities.

> --enable-talk
> N/A
>
> --enable-telnet
> Could replace netkit-telnet (a xinet daemon)
>
> --enable-tftp
> Could replace netkit-tftp
> Could replace tftp-hpa
>
> --enable-whois
> Could replace whois

Do it.

> --enable-ifconfig
> Could replace net-tools partially : ifconfig

Hmm, I'd keep this as well.

> Point A) If we decide to not replace parts of packages in the repo, then
> we disable syslogd, ping, ping6, logger and ifconfig.
> Point B) From Greg comments in FR, we should keep the current xinetd
> (best inet implementation) and
>         whois (actively maintained) standalone packages. So we disable
> inetd and whois.

I agree with both.

> uucpd: I don't know what it does. Do we add it?

It's no extra work, just --enable-xxx in this package: I'd say yes,
someone will probably need it.