[arch-dev-public] Replacing common network programs (netkit-*, etc} with GNU inetutils

Eric Bélanger belanger at ASTRO.UMontreal.CA
Sun Dec 21 18:14:35 EST 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Eric Bélanger wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Eric Bélanger
> > <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > > To get this going, I'll summarize. It looks like there is a general
> > > consensus of adding inetutils to replace some of the current packages
> > > (no-one objected yet) and to follow points A & B.  So we have:
> > >
> > > - enabled:
> > > ftp/ftpd
> > > rexecd
> > > rlogin/rlogind
> > > rsh/rshd
> > > rcp
> > > talk/talkd
> > > telnet/telnetd
> > > uucpd
> > >
> > > - disabled:
> > > inetd
> > > syslogd
> > > tftp/tftpd
> > > ping
> > > ping6
> > > logger
> > > whois
> > > ifconfig
> > >
> > > Which means we will remove:
> > > netkit-ftp
> > > netkit-rsh
> > > netkit-telnet
> > >
> > > I also think that we should remove netkit-tftp unless it has
> > > functionnalities that tftp-hpa doesn't. It is orphaned and is less popular
> > > than tftp-hpa. Usage stats: tftp-hpa=4.15 % and netkit-tftp=1.11 %
> > >
> > > I'll start working on a package containing the tools that I listed above as
> > > enabled. As there's plenty of daemon scripts to write and test, you have a
> > > good 1-2 weeks to think about it and suggest changes.
> >
> > Great. I agree with the netkit-tftp sentiment too. Is it possible to
> > enable tftp/tftpd in this package, and let tftp-hpa install
> > side-by-side with it? I haven't looked into it
> >

> It would be possible. The conflicting files are:
> /usr/bin/tftp
> /usr/share/man/man1/tftp.1.gz
>
> We could rename them (e.g., by adding a -gnu suffix) to fix the conflict.

Should we also rename the tftp daemon related files for consistency? Maybe
a less clumsy solution would be to disable tftp in inetutils but to have a
seperate inetutils-tftp package. This way users could install inetutils
with the tftp package of their choice. Any opinion?

BTW, as inetutils doesn't provide the rexec client, I'll add the netkit
one in the inetutils package. This way all netkit-rsh tools with be
accounted for.

I'll also disable uucpd. We don't have any client for it in the repo. So
it make little sense to provide the daemon.  FTR, I tried to get it to
work by using the uucp package in unsupported but it didn't work. I don't
know what could be wrong (client, xinitd daemon script or
wrong config/usage). Anyway , it's in decline[1] and uucpd doesn't
even have any doc (man or info page) so I gave up. If someone else want to give it a
try go ahead.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUCP#Decline

All daemon scripts except tftp are ready. They might need some tweaks but
I can connect to the daemon. Once we agree on wheter we include tftp or
not, I'll put inetutils in testing.

believed to be clean.