[arch-dev-public] replace man with man-db?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 13:04:47 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> This was brought up a while ago:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9130
>
> There's a usable man-db pkg in AUR that could replace man in core after
> some testing.
>
> I haven't heard of many issues with localized man-pages. Reading around
> Gentoo and Fedora still use "man" while Debian only provides "man-db".
> There are many patches in the Fedora cvs to solve the claimed issues
> with man. We have not one bug report for our "man" package.

We do have a few localization bugs with regard to... Russian or
Ukrainian man pages, or something...

> What's your opinion? Should we stay with "man" and fix what will be
> reported or satisfy the replacement request.
>
> I'd like to stay with our man until we can't fix something.

It's not so much about fixing things, it's more about the fact that
localized man pages seem to be regarded as "better" with man-db.

I personally don't think my opinion should matter here, as I can only
read the english man pages anyway 8)