[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.28-1

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Dec 27 08:16:42 EST 2008

Am Samstag 27 Dezember 2008 14:07:41 schrieb Eduardo Romero:
> On Sat, 2008-12-27 at 10:12 +0100, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> > Hi guys, new kernel adresses the following things:
> > - bump to latest major version
> > - atl2 moved into mainline kernel
> > - wlan-ng26 moved into staging directory of kernel development
> > - for the cool stuff please refer to:
> >   http://kernelnewbies.org
> >
> > please signoff for both arches
> >
> > all binary modules have been rebuilt too, please test if they work
> > properly.
> >
> > greetings
> > tpowa
>
> I migrated my ext3 filesystems to ext4 and everything is working fine.
> signoff i686.

I have tested the ext4 thing. Grub needs to be patched to be able to boot from
ext4. The same is valid for extlinux. In addition to this mkinitcpio needs
support for ext4. ATM one has to add ext4 to the modules and boot with
rootfstype=ext4. Otherwise initcpio will choose ext3 and you'll get a kernel
panic.

Maybe we shouldn't support ext4 atm and wait until the tols mentioned above
are fixed and we have an install cd with the new kernel. That means one should
add a warning to the announcement that booting from ext4 is not supported atm.

Btw: Does anyone know where to get the e4defrag tool to convert etc3 to ext4
(I mean switching to extents)?

Last but not least: The kernel is working fine on i686 and x86_64; so here is
my sign-off.

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76