[arch-dev-public] grub with ext4 support

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 05:45:11 EST 2008

On 12/29/08, Ronald van Haren <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>
> wrote:

>>> woha, you just took an item of my todo list for this week.
>>>
>>> +1 for adding it to testing.
>>>
>>> Although grub2 should support ext4 (I did not test it) I think choice
>>> is always a good thing. Between now and a stable release of grub2
>>> there will probably be a great lot of people switching to ext4, so
>>> adding support for ext4 to grub should be the right thing to do imo.
>>>
>>> Ronald
>>
>> I have checked this version of grub and it boots fine from ext4.
>> Attention: I
>> have also tested grub2 from extra, but it did not work. (after converting
>> my /
>> to ext4 grub2 was not able to install itself anymore)
>>

> I will check into the grub2 issue in that case.
>
> Ronald

I just checked in a new snapshot which adds ext4 support to grub2.

Some things to note if you want to try:
* add 'rootfstype=ext4' to your kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.cfg if
you want to boot from ext4
* make sure you don't use autodetect in your initramfs image.
mkinitcpio is not able to correctly detect ext4. See also [1] for a
possible fix to mkinitcpio. Rebuild the image if you have to change
something.

That should cover it I think. Let me know if you experience any issues.

Ronald

[1] http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2008-December/003086.html