[arch-dev-public] Devs choice of filesystems (was: [signoff] xfsprogs 2.9.5)

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 19:14:28 EST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 5:50 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2008 4:41 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm sure we have devs that use XFS, right?
>
> I actually wonder what you guys do use. I'm guessing 75% of us use
> ext2/ext3. Let's get a quick poll going here. :)
>
> I use ext3 on my two boxes with dir_index turned on for all
> partitions, and some have noatime in the mount options. /boot is the
> exception, which is ext2. Finally, I don't have a tmpfs for /tmp on
> either box, due to the fact that I tend to stick large stuff there and
> I'd rather not swap on a regular basis.

I do the same: ext2 boot, ext3 for the rest. dir_index and noatime are
both on. I do actually use tmpfs though.

I used to use reiser as my main partition, with ext2 on /boot, but I
switched at one point... I think actually for dual booting, because
there were windows extensions that could read ext but not reiser. /me
shrugs