[arch-dev-public] Devs choice of filesystems (was: [signoff] xfsprogs 2.9.5)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 10:15:47 EST 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 9:10 AM, Dale Blount <dale at archlinux.org> wrote:

> > ext2 /boot
> > ext3 / (all defaults)
>
> I find it interesting that about 50% of the extX using devs use ext2
> on /boot.  Can someone elaborate as to why?

The Arch Linux install guide (I think) told me that ext2 was a good
pick for/ boot, and ext3 was rock-solid for everything else. I just
did what someone told me!

Seriously though, I think I would still use it just for the reason
that I don't really need a journal on my /boot partition (saves a bit
of space I would assume), and ext2 is about as solid of a FS as you
can get. My /boot partition is only 32MB. I'd mount it as read-only
all the time, but then kernel updates would be a pain and I'd forget
to mount it read-write. I could write a pacman hook for that though...
:P

-Dan