[arch-dev-public] Devs choice of filesystems (was: [signoff] xfsprogs 2.9.5)

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Sat Feb 9 12:20:00 EST 2008

Dan McGee wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2008 4:41 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sure we have devs that use XFS, right?
>
> I actually wonder what you guys do use. I'm guessing 75% of us use
> ext2/ext3. Let's get a quick poll going here. :)
>
> I use ext3 on my two boxes with dir_index turned on for all
> partitions, and some have noatime in the mount options. /boot is the
> exception, which is ext2. Finally, I don't have a tmpfs for /tmp on
> either box, due to the fact that I tend to stick large stuff there and
> I'd rather not swap on a regular basis.

We use xfs on our new fileservers. Testing revealed it's was the fastest
under our conditions, by a significant margin.

We use ext3 other places, except in scenarios where there will be lots
of small files, in which case we favor reiserfs. I used to use reiserfs
for almost everything, but ext3 seems essentially as good in most cases
and the most reliable/stable of the bunch.

There was one big xfs corruption issue about a year or so ago, which is
scary, but is has been otherwise very stable. I've had some problems
with reiserfs corruption, but they've been in very rare circumstances
where it also wasn't clear there wasn't some bad hardware involved.

- P