[arch-dev-public] Devs choice of filesystems

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Sat Feb 9 12:32:16 EST 2008

Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> 2008/2/9, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com>:
>> We use xfs on our new fileservers. Testing revealed it's was the fastest
>> under our conditions, by a significant margin.
>>
>> We use ext3 other places, except in scenarios where there will be lots
>> of small files, in which case we favor reiserfs. I used to use reiserfs
>> for almost everything, but ext3 seems essentially as good in most cases
>> and the most reliable/stable of the bunch.
>>
>> There was one big xfs corruption issue about a year or so ago, which is
>> scary, but is has been otherwise very stable. I've had some problems
>> with reiserfs corruption, but they've been in very rare circumstances
>> where it also wasn't clear there wasn't some bad hardware involved.
>>

> Just out of curiosity - did you compare XFS to JFS and what results
> you've observed?

JFS performance is generally good, in fact it was the fastest of any for
large big writes (writing many-gigabyte files sequentially).

However, under the bonnie++ mixed-bag performance tests, both locally
and over NFS, the xfs performance stats were faster, though anecdotally
seemed to consume more processor.

JFS, I believe, is also hands-down the fastest at deleting even an
extremely large file.

- P