[arch-dev-public] Devs choice of filesystems (was: [signoff] xfsprogs 2.9.5)

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 16:03:01 EST 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 9:10 AM, Dale Blount <dale at archlinux.org> wrote:

> > ext2 /boot
> > ext3 / (all defaults)
>
> I find it interesting that about 50% of the extX using devs use ext2
> on /boot.  Can someone elaborate as to why?

Technically, it's faster. Mounting it doesn't need to do any journal
shimmying, so it saves a few milliseconds. It's actually the same
rationale for using a separate /boot - it's faster to mount a 100 MB
partition than it is to mount a 120GB partition/disk.

All-in-all though, these doesn't make a significant difference as
boot-time bottlenecks happen at other places. I will point out though,
that on my "omg fast boot" mythtv machine (which is now the arch64
build machine), I was able to save 2 seconds on boot by doing these
tricks - I actually got it to boot to console login in 7 seconds. It
was fun.