[arch-dev-public] Module blacklisting

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Fri Feb 22 18:56:14 EST 2008

On 2/22/08, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, guys - honest question. Because udev is being a big pain in the
>  ass with the way we do module blacklisting, we might want to
>  reevaluate it.
>
>  Right now we support blacklisting of modules in rc.conf, in addition
>  to a kernel param disablemodules=x,y,z
>
>  Udev autoloading is controlled by MOD_AUTOLOAD and the load_modules
>  kernel param.
>
>  We *can* use modprobe based blacklisting here, but we lose the above
>  items. blacklisting will be controlled only by /etc/modprobe.conf (and
>  modprobe.d/*) and we lose the ability to shut it off via rc.conf.
>
>  What do we gain? Speed and simplicity. No extraneous scripts to handle
>  this stuff, and all that jazz.
>
>  This is how fast this script was when I originally wrote it:
>  http://img.phraktured.net/other/udev_modules_boot.png
>  Now it apparently takes 3 times as long due to all the added blacklisting cruft
>
>  What do we lose? Robustness.
>  See below for an explanation of the blacklist changes

I thin modprobe.conf would probably be 'cleaner' and 'closer to home'.
It would probably be a little less 'classic arch', as it moves things
away from rc.conf instead of into it. It might be the right thing to
do though..not sure.

I do have one concern though. How would this effect mkinitcpio, and
excluding modules via grub at boot time (whether from an install cd or
from a real boot and with an initrd)?