[arch-dev-public] [arch-commits] CVS update of extra/x11/xorg-server (PKGBUILD xorg-server.install)

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Feb 24 09:02:43 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 13:04 +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:41:49 +0100
> schrieb Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>:
>
> > Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2008 22:02:35 schrieb Roman Kyrylych:
> > > Didn't you see my previous message?
> > > Xorg *does not* ignore xorg.conf here. I din't even touch hal's
> > > file.
> >
> > Nice for you, but that did not work for me and there are some users
> > reporting that problem, too.
> >

> completely broken for me too now. urgh. revert it.
>
> xorg.conf is not recognised anymore.
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier "Keyboard1"
>     Driver "keyboard"
>     Option "XkbModel" "cherrybluea"
>     Option "XkbLayout" "de(nodeadkeys)"
>     Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
> EndSection
>
> USB keyboard

Yes, this should be reverted. This new methods makes configuration
inflexible, and adds some other disadvantages:
- all keyboards have the same layout, no way to set an individual
keyboard layout
- keyboard layouts can only be configured by root, there's no way to
configure keyboard layouts other than editing a root-owned fdi file

I've attended a talk about XInput today, I heard things like
"trainwreck" and "should be fixed somewhere next year", so please don't
make things that are working now worse than they were before.