[arch-dev-public] Planet feeds and graphics

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Fri Feb 29 12:53:42 EST 2008

On 2/29/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:10:45PM -0800, eliott wrote:
>  >  > On 2/28/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > > Can we kill the images from being displayed in the planet feeds? I
>  >  > >  like having this new guy's blog and all, but having 10 images per post
>  >  > >  is really killing the loading speed of the planet site. It also messes
>  >  > >  up a lot of the formatting, especially on a smaller screen.
>  >  >
>  >  > dude.
>  >  > adblock images from his domain.
>  >  > or maybe use an rss feed reader.
>  >  > We just display the feed.
>

> dude.
>  did you think this out? this is a terrible idea.
>  i'd still like to see the images when i actually go TO his blog.

you never said anything about wanting to see them on his blog.
you just said:
"""Can we kill the images from being displayed in the planet feeds? I
like having this new guy's blog and all, but having 10 images per post
is really killing the loading speed of the planet site. It also messes
up a lot of the formatting, especially on a smaller screen."""

I took that to mean that until this new guy was added,  you were
having to problem with the occasional image.

Seriously. If you want to view the images on his blog, then why not
view them on the planet site?

> So I asked if we could block it on the planet site. And you guys are
>  telling me about feed readers.

We were giving you suggestions to help remediate the issue you were
experiencing. I didn't expect you to get butt-hurt about it.

I know I don't want to implement a sweeping change to the planet, and
it appears Jason agrees with me.