[arch-dev-public] Cleanup update (was: Third list of removal candidates)

Fri Jan 4 01:08:05 EST 2008

Acting as a thread bump, here is the updated list:

=====Packages for which interest/concern has been shown or hardware-related pkg=====

apmd  replaced by acpi (incorrect. needed for older machines)
dmcradio      Description: A ncurses-based console program for radio tuner cards.
efax  utilities to send and receive faxes, I guess we should keep it unless another package provides fax support
hnb   Description: hierarchical notebook (hnb) is a curses program to structure many kinds of data in one place
ipvsadm       Description: The IP Virtual Server administration utility
isapnptools   ISA Plug-And-Play devices support: shopuld be kept
jetty Description: A full-fledged production-grade lightweight Java Servlet Container
mrtg  Description: Multi Router Traffic Grapher.
speedtouch    modem drivers, should be kept
vconfig	Description: VLAN configuration utility -- Is there a standard way to config VLANs?  iputils or iproute?
zebra	  Description: Manages IPv4 and IPv6 routing protocols -- Do we have other router software?  I'm curious if we cover more advancedserver functionality.
=====

=====Packages on the verge of being moved to unsupported=====

adns	Description: adns is an asyncronous replacement resolver library
gpgme03	obsoleted by gpgme???
gprolog	Can be removed, I guess. There is another prolog compiler (swi-prolog) in repo.
hashalot	Description: A tool to hash stuff
hypermail	Description: Hypermail is a program that takes a file of mail messages in UNIX mailbox format and generates a set of cross-referenced HTML documents
ippl	Description: IP Protocols Logger
ircd	Description: Internet Relay Chat Daemon
mod_security	Description: An open source intrusion detection and prevention engine for web applications
netdude w libnetdude & libpcapnav	used to inspect/manipulate tcpdump trace files. Should we keep it?
netkit-bootparamd	Do we keep?
netkit-ntalk	Isn't talk obsoleted by Instant Messaging and IRC?
netpipes	Description: The netpipes package makes TCP/IP streams usable in shell scripts
oidentd	ident server like pidentd (orphaned). Which one should we keep or should we remove both?
pam_mysql	Description: A PAM module to authenticate users against mysql.
perl-email-date	unused modules, to be removed from extra
pidentd	ident server like oidentd (orphaned). Which one should we keep or should we remove both?
pppconfig	Description: A text menu based utility for configuring ppp.
sendfile	Description: The sendfile client transfers files to the sendfile daemon of the recipient's host
tmda	Description: Tagged Message Delivery Agent.
xprobe	Description: tool for remote OS fingerprinting based on ICMP responses received from the host
ytalk	Description: A client of the talk/ntalk inet daemon
=====

believed to be clean.