[arch-dev-public] [signoff] fakeroot 1.8.10-2

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 4 12:12:56 EST 2008

>> This version fixes the fakeroot/acl/makepkg bug when using cp -a on
>> directories. For details, see
>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8214#comment22826
>
> Wow, the fix doesn't include sweeping code changes and yet this bug
> has been around for a while. Where did this patch come from? Does
> upstream have it?

I took the time and wrote the patch, thus upstream does not have it.
Actually, this patch is only a workaround: It makes it look like the
underlying filesystem never supports ACLs when writing them (you can
still read ACLs though). coreutils falls back to a function called
chmod_or_fchmod in this case, which apparently uses either chmod or
fchmod to set the mode, both of which are wrapped by fakeroot. It may
not fix other broken tools, but I don't know about any other breakage.

For us this is fine, as pacman packages (tarballs) should only contain
normal Unix permissions (I doubt that tar has support for ACLs anyway)
and most of our users don't even use ACLs. However, this does not extend
the fakeroot environment to support ACLs, thus it is not a good thing
for an upstream package: The patch would probably be rejected.