[arch-dev-public] [signoff] fakeroot 1.8.10-2

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:43:24 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 11:16 AM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Wow, the fix doesn't include sweeping code changes and yet this bug
> > > has been around for a while. Where did this patch come from? Does
> > > upstream have it?
> >
> > I took the time and wrote the patch, thus upstream does not have it.
> > Actually, this patch is only a workaround: It makes it look like the
> > underlying filesystem never supports ACLs when writing them (you can
> > still read ACLs though). coreutils falls back to a function called
> > chmod_or_fchmod in this case, which apparently uses either chmod or
> > fchmod to set the mode, both of which are wrapped by fakeroot. It may
> > not fix other broken tools, but I don't know about any other breakage.
> >
> > For us this is fine, as pacman packages (tarballs) should only contain
> > normal Unix permissions (I doubt that tar has support for ACLs anyway)
> > and most of our users don't even use ACLs. However, this does not extend
> > the fakeroot environment to support ACLs, thus it is not a good thing
> > for an upstream package: The patch would probably be rejected.

I feel like it is worth attaching to the Debian bug report to make a
point. "Look, you've had this bug forever that everyone refuses to
look at and I've made a patch that at least fixes/remedies *broken*
behavior, even if it is not ideal." If they reject it they seem to be
on a bit of a power trip.

And well done on the patch.

> Well, wow, thanks a lot. This is great work.
> Do you happen to have a test case for me to test? Or should I just
> mount something with ACLs and compare to a package build without ACLs?

I don't mount anything with ACLs, but I will be sure everything works
without them (no regressions). I'll test and hopefully signoff later
tonight.

To anyone else- strace might be helpful here to test.

-Dan