[arch-dev-public] dependency rebuilds

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Fri Jan 4 16:39:20 EST 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 9:18 AM, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com> wrote:
>> Aaron Griffin wrote:

>>> There's a middle-ground here which I like, myself.
>>> 1.5)  the package x maintainer(s) is responsible to find all packages
>>> y and posts a todo list on the dashboard
>>>
>>> I like this method, but at the same time, it requires one to
>>> constantly scan the todo lists to see if a package of yours is there.
>> A slight variation on this is to the todo list + what Damir did..
>> post to a todo list and *also* put a post on the arch-dev-public
>> list. This way people get push notification, and also a place to
>> track what they've done and what they haven't.
>
> I like this one.
>
> So ok, let me propose this:
> With rebuilds, it's the library maintainer's job to find all dep packages.
> There are then two choices:
>    * build everything yourself, if you feel like it (yay!)
>    * make a todolist and post on the arch-dev-public ML so we know
> that there is a new rebuild todolist.

Sounds good. Put the package list, with the following observations:

* if you decide to build everything yourself, think about that first
and want to take that responsibility; releasing is more than just
rebuilding, and by rebuilding you potentially break something and
thereby take on responsibility to fix it in relatively short order
(even if it's just in testing)
* generally make sure the emailed todo list actually contains the
list of packages, or at minimum a direct link to the todo list; it
gives people no excuse not to notice

Thanks for working this through with me. I hope others will consider
and adopt some of these practices, or make some suggestions for how
to change them.

- P