[arch-dev-public] kde4

Varun Acharya ganja.guru.x64 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:24:01 EST 2008

Hi tpowa,

Since you are the resident KDE guy, I was curious as to how you're going to
handle kde4 when it releases this month. Most sources say that we should
consider this more of a developer release, and stability and polish can be
expected only from KDE 4.1. So, a couple of questions:

1. Will you get the KDE packages earlier than the actual release date, as
you always seem to do?
2. Do you plan on moving these packages to extra or testing...or maybe even
unstable??
3. What naming scheme will you use? Will KDE4 packages become 'kdelibs'
'kdebase' and so on, or will kde3 packages retain that nomenclature for a
while? (looking at how qt4=>qt in testing, I presume kde4=>kdelibs/kdebase).
This means kde3 packages have to be rebuilt with the new naming scheme
kdebase3, and of course all dependent packages with it.

I just thought I'll get the ball rolling on the inevitable confusion to
follow :)

Thanks,
Varun