[arch-dev-public] Add patch to python to save power for pygtk apps

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Jan 10 11:48:34 EST 2008

Hi all,

It's quite common knowledge that pygtk/pygobject programs are bad for
power usage. Newer versions of pygtk and pygobject contain code that
requires API from python trunk to solve this issue. However, our python
2.5 doesn't have that code.

http://blogs.gnome.org/johan/2008/01/04/enough-wakeups-in-python-programs/
describes the issue, it's from the pygobject/pygtk developer that
integrated the new code.

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/python/python2.6-set_wakeup_fd4.patch?rev=1.1
is the backport to python 2.5 done by redhat.

I would like to apply the python wakeup patch, put this new python in
testing and build the new pygobject/pygtk releases against it.

Though the added python API is development code, it's an API addition
that doesn't touch existing API, so our python will stay compatible with
old python scripts/libraries/etc. The downside of the patch is that this
new API could be not the final API, which requires us to update the
patch whenever it changes. As this patch has been developed by python
and pygtk developers together, I don't see problems here.

So the question is: is it ok to apply the patch to our python package?