[arch-dev-public] Updating 'man'

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:30:13 EST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 3:24 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2008 22:11:37 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> > Remove -Tlatin from the nroff call, as nroff will autodetect the
> > proper charset (this will help in displaying utf8 man pages), closing
> > 7477 hopefully.
>
> Afaik this is no solution. In fact man pages are even more broken then. :-)

It fixes *some* here. For instance, take a look at the pacman 3.1 man
page. A few of the quote characters are in utf8, and show up as (?) or
something until you remove the -Tlatin1.

Either way, removing that should be the proper way to go here.
Replacing man with man-db is probably more proper, but I am simply
working with what we have at this moment, as I don't have enough gusto
to do the complete replacement.