[arch-dev-public] groff: archaic technology go

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:23:23 EST 2008

Man.... man pages and groff and all this crap are waaay too complex
for what they do.

Anyway, here's the deal, and hopefully someone will know a better/more
proper way to do this.

With the utf8 man page changes (pending, see other email), some UTF-8
characters come out a bit goofy. I don't know if it is only
en_US.UTF-8 or not.

The simply fact is that there's like 3 different 'dash' characters in
UTF-8, and the ones displayed are not the ones your keyboard outputs.
So searching for "-S" doesn't work.

Long story short, adding the following to
/usr/share/groff/site-tmac/man.local fixes this:

.if '\*[.T]'utf8' \
.  char \- \N'45'
.  char - \N'45'
.  char ' \N'39'
..

Yeah, all those dots are needed... most of those replacements are
gleaned from a SuSe changelog, but they work here.

Could someone else make this change, or possibly suggest a better way
to do the same thing? What we're doing is telling nroff not to use the
fancy chars and use the same ones the keyboard uses.

Opinions? Thoughts? Comments? Beer?