[arch-dev-public] reimplementation of the new design

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Jan 17 07:08:45 EST 2008

Hi all,

the last few days I have been working on implementation of the new design for 
archlinux.de. This might be interesting for some of you; especially for those 
who maintain other arch sites.

I have simplified the css and html code. There were some strange and useless 
parts (like the background image to draw those two bars at the top)

I have modified the logo: I removed the hard to read TM (isn't this useless 
anyway) and change the font from liberation to dejavu because of hinting 
errors. Furthermore I used Gimp instead of Inkscape to create the png which 
results in a much sharper output. Finally I used optipng to make all pngs 
smaller. :-)

I created the MediaWiki theme from scratch. Its based on the monobook theme 
but I left the original css files untouched. Instead I wrote a new 
archlinux.css which just overrides some box positions and colours to our 
needs. This should make upstream updates much easier. In the past some 
updates were a lot of work because of many changes to the css code. And of 
course: Its much easier to maintain only the changes in a separate file.

I have changed some colours compared to the theme from archlinux.org (grey 
boxes on the start page and using grey and blue for the wiki)

You can download the source code and svgs with git:

git clone http://git.archlinux.de/~pierre/www.archlinux.de.git
git clone http://git.archlinux.de/~pierre/wiki.archlinux.de.git

Hint: If you want to use the wiki you just need to modify ArchLinux.php to 
your needs. And you might want to replace archlinux/logo.png by something 
matching you language.

Its a vanilla version of the latest mediawiki code with three additions: 
archlinux theme, FunnyDot spam protection and a module to authenticate at our 




More information about the arch-dev-public mailing list