[arch-dev-public] Updating 'man'

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 11:47:14 EST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 5:38 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > Hey guys, I tried contacting Andy directly but got no response, so I
> > am going to run this by everyone else.
> >
> > I want to update the man package with a couple of changes:
> >
> > Remove -Tlatin from the nroff call, as nroff will autodetect the
> > proper charset (this will help in displaying utf8 man pages), closing
> > 7477 hopefully.
> > Run configure with +fhs so that it thinks man pages are in
> > /usr/share/man *first*
> >
> > Is this acceptable?
> >

> Removing -Tlatin1 from the nroff call is apparently required for
> displaying man pages correctly (eg pacman man page with ´ or localized
> mplayer man page), so that change looks good to me.
> And probably this should be done when the new filesystem is moved to core.

This is all unrelated to filesystem moving to core. The filesystem
change is regarding the LOCATION of man pages, this is regarding the
ENCODING of man pages. They're very different issues.

This will be done after the filesystem change as we also need to make
goofy tmac changes to groff or something... I dunno what happened to
that thread. Dan and I figured out what we needed a while back.