[arch-dev-public] Filename search for Arch

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Wed Jan 23 14:32:10 EST 2008

My main disagreement was providing a pacman -So interface that queried
the server directly.

For three main reasons:
1. The load on the server from having pacman -So run on end users
systems. This is also not something that could be mirrored. It would
*all* point to the arch webserver (of which we only have one right
now).

2. This would *tightly* couple pacman to the arch website. It is hard
to express how much I disagree with such a tight coupling.

3. Why would someone need to search to see what owns a file that they
don't have on their system, with pacman?