[arch-dev-public] Filename search for Arch

Jeff Mickey jeff at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 23 15:00:31 EST 2008

I agree with everything eliott has said except:

On Jan 23, 2008 2:32 PM, eliott <eliott at cactuswax.net> wrote:
> 3. Why would someone need to search to see what owns a file that they
> don't have on their system, with pacman?

My favorite case for this is when I build something from source and
either I don't look up or don't know the dependencies of the app.  It
spits out some linking error about some library file.  Wouldn't be
awesome if I could just pacman -So /lib/libyourmother.so.hot and it
spit out that I was looking for extra/your-mother?  This is just one
very simple example.  Not to mention it'll also help someone who has
something that needs to be recompiled, because they can run pacman -So
/lib/yourmother.so.hot.3 and see that it isn't in any up to date
packages.

The current scenario is me asking someone else to search on THEIR
system for it, or searching google to find a relevant piece of
software and then figure out of arch has that piece of software.  Not
awesome.

I think this is a useful feature IF implemented as phrakture states,
which is merely throwing around filelists that are compressed on the
mirrors.  For people who don't want to download it, they shouldn't be
forced to.

    //  jeff

--
. : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .