[arch-dev-public] Kernel framebuffer logo

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:47:11 EST 2008

2008/1/24, Thayer Williams <thayerw at gmail.com>:
> I've been testing various forms of the new logo for use in the kernel
> framebuffer and I still think the best implementation is to use no
> logo at all. The inherint disadvatange is that more and more monitors
> are widescreen these days and that means the logo proportions are
> distorted (short and wide) in the framebuffer since standard vga
> settings use a 4:3 ratio.

ehm, don't these users set some widescreen framebuffer modes anyway?
I mean - when no framebuffer is used (thus 80x25 text mode) - no logo
is visible anyway;
when framebuffer is used - users set widescreen mode anyway (if possible).
So I don't see a problem here.
With uvesafb included in 2.6.24 users can check if their BIOS supports
widescreen modes by
# cat /sys/bus/platform/drivers/uvesafb/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)