[arch-dev-public] Filename search for Arch

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Fri Jan 25 18:31:01 EST 2008

On 1/25/08, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008 5:02 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > eliott schrieb:
> > > I guess I don't see where this script fits in, and how it is supposed
> > > to be used.
> > > thomas made mention of using zgrep for advanced users, but that seems
> > > just as difficult as opening a web browser and typing into a search
> > > box.
> >
> > The purpose is to provide filelists for download, so they can be
> > searched offline by pacman.
> > My first idea (implementing an online search in pacman) was rejected,
> > thus I thought about a "download the filelist and search it" offline
> > solution.
>
> Oh, I must have misunderstood too. If you're going to implement
> filelist search and all that stuff, we should:
> a) Move this to the pacman-dev mailing list
> b) Add external tools to do this as part of the "pacman source", i.e.
> as a patch to repo-add
> c) Not use this script until pacman actually has this feature.
>
> If the intent is to let users zgrep it, then I agree with cactus that
> that is significantly more complex then actually using the website to
> provide a search interface.

Yeah. I wasn't apposed to having a file search mechanism on the site.
I was apposed to having pacman query the website. If a user opens up a
browser and searches, no problem. It was tying this to pacman that I
felt was a *really bad idea*.

Alternatively, if there is a pacman only solution, that involves some
mirrored meta in the repository, that is something else entirely, and
should probably be talked about on the pacman dev list, so as to make
it as distribution neutral as possible.