[arch-dev-public] Filename search for Arch

Jeff Mickey jeff at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 25 19:48:37 EST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 6:40 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...] this is something a bit different
> than that and I see it as feature creep.
>
> -Dan

After a lil thinking, I agree that this doesn't belong in pacman.

I also feel this is an important tool people should have offline.
Maybe just a entirely new script that searches a provided filelist, or
goes to a default location?

Something like the following sounds appealing to me:

pacman -s findpkgfile  # or whatever else would be a good name
findpkgfile -y               # download filelists from some given mirror
findpkgfile '/lib/libyourmom.so.hot'
  =>  yourmom-5.2-2

Then we can add fun functionality and features to THAT script instead
of pacman.  One that comes to mind is asking if you'd like to install
the found package that contains/owns the file, etc.

Thought I'd document my thoughts.

    //  jeff
--
. : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .