[arch-dev-public] repo cleanup: step 2

Wed Jan 30 01:08:33 EST 2008

Hi,

This post is to give a status report on the still ongoing repo cleanup.
The list of the recently removed packages is posted at the end of this
message.

The current orphans are as follows.
We still have a short list of hardware-related or more or less useful
packages:

apmd
bluez-gnome
ipvsadm
isapnptools
mrtg
speedtouch
vconfig
zebra

But now I would like to focus more on orphaned core packages:

dash
mlocate
perl
shadow
abs
heimdal
bcm43xx-fwcutter
bridge-utils
dnsutils
ifenslave
netkit-telnet
mailx (Aaron: adopt it if you still want it)

and on orphaned depends (see
https://dev.archlinux.org/wiki/Repo%20Cleanup/). The list of orphaned
depends also indicates what packages depends on these orphans and, in some
cases, who owns them.  As mentionned previously, it would be nice if
everyone would make efforts to adopt the depends of their packages because
it is just logical and would surely ease the .so bump rebuilds.  Of
course, anyone is free to adopt any orphans that they wish.

However, it is possible that some devs already have the maximum workload
that they can handle so they can't really adopt any or all of their
packages' orphaned depends. If it's the case for you, let us know.
Perhaps someone else, who can add to their current workload, would be
willing to adopt some of these orphans especially if they use the package
that depends on them.  I'm sure we'll be able to split the present orphans
workload somehow.

Eric

==================
Removed packages